Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Audiobook

Some people are taking this project as a chance to improve their photography skills. I wish I could say I thought I was going to improve my skills, maybe I will and maybe I won't but for me it is more a chance to really look at the year in photos. As a result, today's picture, although taken my me is really not that exciting, however it does allow for a 2 fold comment on my life.
First I spend a lot of time in the car. A LOT of time. I hate it really. However I have discovered that audio books make my commute a little more bearable. Plus it forces me to actually read/listen to the whole thing, not skip around when it get boring.
.
Second is the Abhorsen trilogy. Less and less am I getting swept away by books. Captivated by the idea of what they are presenting. Probably one of the reason I like fantasy so much is that you do not have to follow any of the same rules that you have to follow in say historical fiction. Don't like the idea of no telekinesis - put it in the story. Don't like the idea of not being able to see the future - put that in too, want dragons or talking dogs - sure why not. Although I have not come across it often, I'm sure there are books where gravity is broken. Still there are only so many plot lines, but this series really made my imagination work a bit and what I also liked is that Garth Nix did not spoon feed me the way the universe worked. I had to work out a bunch of it along with the characters. Sometimes I was ahead of the characters, sometimes behind, but it never left me disappointed with the result. In other words, I laughed, I cried, I went home happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment